Mar 11, 2010

The Cupcake Shoppe


2417 Yonge Street

Toronto, ON


Due to work and unwillingness to traverse across GTA just for a cupcake, my mission to find the best cupcake hasn't been too successful. Over the weekend, I forced myself to start my list by making a visit to The Cupcake Shoppe at Yonge and Eglinton. I started out quite optimistic, but that changed shortly after.




The cupcakes were $2.50 each, which is averagely priced for that size. I ended up getting only three because I wanted to be sure it was good before I committed myself to a dozen. I chose the following:




Opposites Attract- This was a vanilla cupcake with chocolate buttercream frosting and a Smartie on top. For some reason, the frosting was grainy and not smooth. I could feel the sugar particles on my tongue while I was eating it. Also, I'm not a fan of Smarties. M&Ms> Smarties.



Mint Chocolate- It's a chocolate cupcake with mint buttercream frosting. The mint frosting was too bland. I think their intent was to showcase the mintiness but ended up making a tasteless one. Also, the cake portion wasn't moist. Moistness is key!




James Brown.
This was a chocolate cupcake with chocolate buttercream frosting. This is the best tasting cupcake out of the three I tried from here. But don't get me wrong, it's still sub-par.




So what's the verdict?

The cake part was dry. The frosting fell short for 2 out of the 3 I tried. Simply put, their cupcakes are overrated.




On a positive note, their packaging is kind of cute. They do a good job on the decorative aspect, but the taste is lacking.




2 comments:

  1. aptly said! i'm surprised they let you snap a pic of the cupcakes *first pic b/c they didn't let me for some reason when i tried!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I purposely got someone to take it while I was ordering and distracting them haha. In the end, I still got yelled at and they made us put the camera away.

    ReplyDelete